Tuesday 17 December 2013

A Shot In The Arm

It’s always a mixed blessing to get a ‘shot-in-the-arm’ from someone like Tom Dheere. We want it, we know we need it, but it usually hurts so we don’t really want it. But 'embrace the pain' we must. And the thing is, Tom's so darn friendly, likeable, cued-up, well-meaning and wise that we’re compelled to believe he has our best VoiceOver business interests and success at heart. After all, he’s an experienced, multi-talented NYC Voice Over Pro + Business Expert who specializes in Business & Money, Marketing. Edge Studio loves him, so we do too. This is the reason his Edge Studio blog, ‘2014 Is Coming, Are You Ready?’ was a needed jab. He wants to keep us healthy. And it’s why I’m cheering him with a Debby Barnes Voice-Over Rah-Rah! this week.

When I read his article on December 1st, I just knew it would stay with me throughout the month in the lead-up to the New Year. After staring at the first line of his blog, “2013 is almost gone.” I honestly felt I’d been slapped and told to snap-out-of-it. What a needed moment. The reality hit me. It was in black and white and I had to sit down, read it, stay there and absorb it. I certainly didn’t want to dwell on it, but he went on to ask an important question. One I couldn’t ignore. He didn’t stop there either. He asked four more important questions that begged to be considered.

Tom’s entire article asks us to take stock of what we have and haven’t accomplished this year. He asks us to define what we need to do in order to accomplish what we must do to be successful. He encourages us to, “Stop the vicious “I’ll do it tomorrow” cycle, and truly advance your voice over career.” And in order to woo us onto the right path, he offers us three concrete steps to get us there. (And steps help us climb, right?) He clarifies how to go about this and says: “Although it may be daunting, all these concerns must be dealt with for you to be a truly successful voice talent.”

In closing, he reminds us of how critical it is to have an Action Plan: “Your Action Plan should be task-oriented and designed to help you develop a regimen.” Okay then. It’s time for me to set aside some quality time and (…as Tom says) define my mission (...or re-define it) and craft my goals (...or re-craft them). It's also time for me to develop some more good habits.

You know, it’s easy to believe Tom's such a successful Explainer Video narrator because his explanations make a lot of sense. Read it below and Rah-Rah! Tom with me.

Click-into Tom's 2014 Prep here:     http://www.edgestudio.com/blogs/2014Prep

And FYI: Check-out more of Tom’s ‘Good Karma Network’ VO blogs and the Google+ ‘Voice Over Café’ community he just introduced.

Tom’s site:  www.tomdheere.com
 
Go Ahead, Comment & Share!  And stop, look + listen at:   www.debbybarnes.com

 


No comments:

Post a Comment